TAEASS502 Design and develop assessment tools
$300 – Online – 3 months enrolment period – RPL & Coursework
As a vocational trainer, you need to be able to design assessment tools that uphold the integrity of Australia’s vocational education system, and that is what TAEASS502 is about.
- The current TAE40116 Certificate IV in Training & Assessment includes TAEASS502 as a Core unit.
- The TAEASS502B has been an elective unit of TAE40110 Certificate IV in Training & Assessment, but many graduates do not yet possess it.
- The Standards for RTOs (2015) require that, from July 2019, all Trainers & Assessors hold TAE40110 as well as TAEASS502 and TAELLN411 (or their equivalent predecessor/s).
- At a minimum, this means that if you hold the older TAE40110 Cert IV TAE, you only need to add in these two units to meet the July 2019 requirement.
- Alternatively, you may choose to complete one or both of these units as part of your Upgrade to the new TAE40116 Cert IV TAE.
About the Course
This course is delivered online, which gives you flexibility in your study hours and allows you to complete the course at your own pace; perfect for balancing alongside work and family commitments! On enrolment, you will receive your login credentials for access to our learning platform. This is where you will find all your instructions, learning resources and assessments.
We know that the TAE is not easy and that it’s not a matter of “if” but “when” you will need a guiding hand. That’s why you will have unlimited access to your trainer and can schedule phone or video calls when you need support. Our trainers are available 9 am to 5 pm QLD time Monday to Friday.
Our service promises to you:
- Any assessments you submit will be marked within four business days. That is our service standard guarantee to you.
- All emails are responded to within 8 business hours.
- If we miss your call, we’ll call you back within 4 business hours.
What TAESS502 – Design and Development Assessment Tools involves:
- Design and develop at least three assessment tools to guide the collection of quality evidence in a range of contexts, such as training/assessment and recognition pathways.
- Demonstrate how the tools have been reviewed and trialled with respect to the Principles of Assessment and Rules of Evidence.
- Provide a strong theoretical knowledge of how to design and develop tools for a variety of purposes.
Full details about the TAEASS502 Unit can be found at training.gov.au
In order to complete the practical assessment requirements of TAEASS502, you must:
- Have access to personnel with whom to trial and review assessment tools.
- You must have access to a TAE qualified observer (who is currently compliant as a Trainer and Assessor, holding as minimum qualifications the TAE40110, TAELLN411 and TAEASS502 (or equivalent unit)), or the ability to video record the practical components of your assessment tasks.
As this program is delivered online, it is essential that students are aware of the IT requirements of the program prior to enrolling to ensure that we’re the right fit.
To enrol for this program, you must be able to answer YES to the following questions;
- Do you have access to a computer?
- Does your computer have – a broadband internet connection – Laptop or PC – a video camera, either built into your device or a separate webcam – a microphone, either built into your device or in the webcam?
- Do you have the ability to – open web pages – view embedded video & slideshows (eg. Youtube, Slideshare) – download & extract zip folders – open and download pdf & swf documents – open, edit, save & upload documents created in doc & docx format?
- Our assessment materials are developed using MS Word. Do you have the computer skills and access to Word to allow you to participate in the program?
- Can you download, work within, save and upload Word documents?
If your answer is NO to any of the above questions, please contact us on 1300 141 994 so that we can provide the best advice for your circumstance.
There are no specific entry requirements for this unit.
The enrolment duration for this course is 3 months.
Experience tells us that the following three factors affect the time it takes a student:
- Experience – if you have experience in training/assessing, then you will likely not need as long as people without experience.
- Dedication – if you have a good reason to do the course, and can hold yourself accountable, then you will likely not need as long as people who are less committed.
- Other commitments – if you have a busy life with many competing professional and personal demands, then you will likely need longer than those people with fewer demands.
While it differs for different people, we find that successful students usually dedicate 10- 15 hours per week. That said, some of our students take less time, while others take more. It is up to you.
Successful Study Habits
We have a video on Successful Study Habits that will support you to progress through the course in a timely manner. Here is what we know to be true, based on our experience with thousands of students:
- Talk to us! If you’re stuck on a problem at home or feel overwhelmed, don’t sit and stew, or worse, procrastinate! Connect with us in whatever way suits you, be it phone, chat, email, Google Meet or Zoom, and we’ll help you reach a solution so you can get on with your studies.
- Schedule it in! Set aside “chunks’ of time to allow you to really sink your teeth (and brain) into the learning process and allow yourself to get “in the zone”. You can set your own pace, structuring your learning and your assessments to suit your lifestyle.
- And lastly, take your course one step at a time… consistency is important but if the unexpected happens, we can help you find solutions, like course deferral.
Our minimum course fee for the 3 months enrolment is $300.
We offer the following payment options.
- When you enrol, you can select Tentative Enrolment if you’d like us to send you an invoice. Payment options include credit card and bank transfer. Please note: For online TAE programs whose fee is more than $1500, the first invoice will be for $1500 with subsequent invoices issued after 90 days.
- Or, when you enrol you can select a Payment Plan (Flexi Payment) that suits your budget. Payments will stop automatically once the full course fee is paid, or the balance will be due upon graduation, whichever comes first. We will not issue a Graduation Certificate or Statement of Attainment without full payment.
Please note: Additional fees apply for all payment plans.
The payment plan options are as follows, depending upon the total fee for your course;
- $100 per week
- $200 per week
- $150 per fortnight
- $200 per fortnight
- $300 per month (15th of every month)
- $400 per month (15th of every month)
If you have not finished the course within 3 months you can purchase an extension.
- 1 week $75
- 3 months $300
Over 40? You may be eligible for funding.
If you are over 40, you may be eligible to receive assistance with your course fees from the government’s Skills Checkpoint for Older Workers (SCOW) program. More information is available HERE.
A full refund applies if a student withdraws within 7 days of enrolment.
There is no refund after the cooling-off period.
All students who enrol are provided both RPL and Coursework Assessment options so that you can make an informed decision about which path to follow.
When it comes to RPL for the TAEASS502 Unit, a number of items of evidence will be needed to demonstrate your competence. In simple terms, this includes:
- Three entire tools (not just the instruments), assessing three separate units of competency and supporting a range of different assessment methods;
- evidence of trialling and reviewing the tools, to ensure that they meet the Principles of Assessment and Rules of Evidence;
- demonstrating a thorough knowledge of assessment tool design and review through a written knowledge assessment.
A Third Party Report from a suitable person will also be required, and we will provide a template for that.
We want to make sure that you are the right fit for us and we are the right fit for you. Here are a few things for you to consider:
- Fortress Learning is not a “tick and flick” RTO. If you want the fastest and easiest way, we probably won’t be a good fit.
- We made the decision a long time ago to focus on quality and not quantity. As a result, our qualifications have a very good reputation in the industry.
- Employers know that a Fortress Learning qualification is more than just a piece of paper; it has substance.
- Our students finish their training with knowledge, competence and confidence.
All our enrolments will have a Suitability Assessment to complete before you can enrol.
The Suitability Assessment will address the technical requirements of the program, required IT skills and also make sure you have access to the human and physical resources you need for the practical requirements.
This ensures that you are placed in the right course for you and that there are no nasty surprises after you have paid and started your course.
The flexibility of our online approach means that if you need to take a break from study, we’ve got that covered too.
We offer the option to defer (pause) your studies. Whilst you are deferred, your enrolment is inactive and we pause your enrolment duration. Then, when you are reactivated from deferment, you pick up exactly where you left off and carry on.
Here are the important details;
- You can defer a maximum of two times. The first deferment is free. The second deferment incurs a $45 fee.
- Payment plans continue on deferment, and your payments must be up to date before we can defer you.
- You won’t have access to your trainer or learning platform whilst you are deferred.
- If you have at least 6 weeks remaining in your enrolment, you can defer for up to 3 months. After that, you can defer for twice the amount of time remaining in your enrolment (for example, if you have 1 week left in your enrolment, you can defer for 2 weeks.)
The most important thing is to contact us if your enrolment isn’t working out as you had planned so that we can offer you the best support options as and when you need them.